The cornerstone of every effective leadership development effort must be realistic and effective leadership training. No large organization can survive or succeed in today’s world without effective leadership training programs.
Simply hoping that leaders develop within your team or that you can hire really good candidates for leadership is not enough. To succeed you must learn how to develop leaders in house. Developing your own cadre of leaders will always be cheaper and more effective than hiring outsiders.
Some Indications of Effective Leadership Training Programs
1. Employee engagement: people want to participate in the program because they feel they will actually learn something from it.
2. Faith in the program: management feels confident when promoting graduates of the program.
3. Increased morale: people feel good after completing the program and when participating in it.
4. Involved: the leadership training program is in line with the company’s goals. For example it is training people in the skills needed for expansion.
5. Long term: employees participating in the program feel that they will be involved in it for years. They develop a long term commitment to the company by participating in the program.
6. Strategic: the program imparts the organization’s strategy to the employees so they understand it and know how to implement it.
If your leadership training program does not fit these descriptions it is probably a waste of time and money. A good place to begin a leadership development program is with a list of Smart Goals. Sit down create goals for the company then start thinking about the kind of leaders you will need to achieve them.
Once you’ve done that ask yourself: how can I transform the leaders I have today into the people who will achieve those goals? When you have answered that question you will know how to set up an effective leadership training program.